Of Jealous Husbands & Subliminal Inspiration

Anjelica Huston wearing Alexander Calder's
 'Jealous Husband' necklace




I thoroughly enjoy the email newsletter from the folks over at Beading Daily.

Just recently Denise Peck, who is the editor-in-chief of Step by Step Wire Jewelry wrote a fascinating little post entitled Original Jewelry Designs: Is It New or Just New to You?.

In the article, she highlighted the work of Alexander Calder, an American sculptor and artist most famous for inventing the mobile, but who also made metal and wire jewelry. When I looked at his early designs, I decided that contemporary wire workers have probably all been influenced by his work in some way, whether we realise it or not!


Calder Necklace, 1930
Alexander Calder’s jewelry is in a traveling museum exhibit~ at the Philadelphia Art Museum until November 2nd, and then at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. I rather doubt that this prairie girl will have a chance to catch either of those this year, but if you are on the east coast I hope you get the chance to yourself!!

NOTE: Info for this post was gathered from these excellent sources:

NPR: Alexander Calder's Jewelry Gets Its Due, Finally

Unwearable art

Alexander Calder on Wikipedia


5 comments:

Linda Hammelman said...

How interesting! Your work is lovely!

melstephens said...

hi, thanks for visiting my site and leave some inspiring message, I love it. my the way I love all the pics that u post here.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Thanks for your visit to my blog and your comments. I really appreciate that. Your post on Calder's jewelries is very interesting and informative. Thanks for the post. God bless.

Beaderjojo said...

Hello there. I just wanted to let you know that I've "tagged" you in my blog.
http://beaderjojo.blogspot.com/

Feel free to participate, or not.
Happy creating!

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting article - and great pictures. I love the necklace (Calder necklace 1930) - and I may not be able to help myself from being inspired by it! Looks like he invented wire-wrapping!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...